November 2, 2011

On the Worktable: Modular Hirst Arts Sci-Fi Terrain

At first everything was very organized...

I've received the 3 remaining Sci-Fi molds from Hirst Arts UK last Saturday. After a weekend full of  mixing, pouring and scraping I finally had a decent amount of parts to create the first pieces of my modular Sci-Fi set. I opted for polystyrene foam insulating board for the base of the pieces since this material allows some very cool variations while giving a nice amount of stability. Each tile is based on a 10 mm (0,39 inches) piece of Styrofoam.
...but that didn't last very long.



The total of 36 modular pieces are the result of a day's work of gluing and cutting. This is what I've got so far:

(28) 2" x 2" floor pieces
  (4) 3" x 3" floor pieces
  (4) 4" x 4" floor pieces











No comments: