November 15, 2011

Gamergrrrl’s Corner: Smog 1888


The finest Steampunk minis ever
How I loved the SPIEL 2011 in Essen, Germany… (even despite the fact that there are less and less role-playing and tabletop exhibitors every year, probably because the SPIEL’s organizers don’t seem to value us gamers very much, which is a shame... but back to topic). I love these moments when you don’t really expect anything cool to happen and then you run right into it. As happened when I ran into a booth which was shared by Taban Miniatures (who produce the glorious EDEN minis) and Smart Max, both from France. While Kronos was depletingthe EDEN’s jokers assortment, much to the astonishment and joy of Taban’s team, I fell in love with the terrific, highly inventive miniatures of Smart Max’s steampunk game SMOG 1888 – The Thirteenth Hour. There was a SPIEL special offer, 4 minis plus the game for a really good price, lucky me! :)
So now I’m the proud owner of Little Alice, Reverend Dudley, PiotrGoodenough and Fu Manchu. It was really a hard decision which 4 minis to pick because all of them are so gorgeous. What I love about them is that they are obviously sculpted with so much skill, heart AND creativity. I think it’s not an exaggeration to state that SMOG 1888 brings the world of steampunk miniatures to a whole new level! Every one of their minis is special and beautiful and I can’t wait for ordering the next load… (a pleasure that will be hard on my wallet – but which smart girl saves her money in these bad EURO times anyway…). Actually I bought them more for the miniatures than for the game, but now I’m really looking forward to testing the game, too. My experience with that will be posted here as well.


I’ll start painting these small freakifications as soon as I’ve gained some experience with the ogre army because the SMOG minis have such a lot of details that they’ll probably be hell to paint. Fortunately they’re produced in a bigger scale (1/35), so maybe that’ll make it at least a bit easier. (You see, I’m still optimistic, being a newbie and all.)

XOXO Gamergrrrl :)

No comments: