November 9, 2012

On the Worktable: The Curs’d Ettin from Forge World

Curs’d Ettin WIP
I love the look of big monsters on the gaming table. I totally dig the 'bigger is better' mentality Games Workshop shows in their new line of big monsters and it was no surprise to me that I would absolutely love the Curs’d Ettin from Forge World.The model itself is actually a bit boring but the possibilities to improve it  are great. I decided to add a little combat wounds, blood, a few arrows here and there and a custom base to resemble a rocky battle field to make the miniature pop on the gaming table.

Base WIP
I never build a base before but after watching a few videos on youtube I decided to give it a try. I used 1mm, 2mm and 3mm cork tiles to create the rocks, added a broken spear, a greatsword and a small shield as well karst tuft (late fall). After making this image I also added a few brown leaves.
I painted the ettin in dirty and sickish colors with yellow eyes without pupils to increase the really twisted and vile look of this creature. Now I'm quite pleased with the look of this mini on the gaming table. I also learned a lot about building a custom base and even though I really like this one I already have a few ideas to further improve the look of the next one. :)

This picture was taken during our recent game session

No comments: